The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Monday, July 17, 2006

Boy. Last Time I Looked.

I spend the better part of Saturday afternoon with The Boy at a nearby playground. It took us almost four weeks in our new neighbourhood before we finally found one that accommodates infants. For a family neighbourhood, there is a dearth of kids playgrounds around us. In our old 'hood there seemed to be a decent playground every few blocks, here the closest one is a good 40-minute walk away.

Anyways, it was a beautiful day so I slathered on the sunscreen, put The Boy in some cool summer togs, tied a hat to his head and away we went. He had a great time playing on the equipment and interacting with the other kids, and it gave me a chance to meet some local parents as well. Naturally the small talk centers around the kids. What really caught me off-guard was that more than once someone would ask, "So, how old is she?"

SHE? Clearly can't you see he's a HE?

The first time I attributed the question as an honest mistake, but after the fourth time I began to question how I dressed him. I took a couple steps back and looked at him again.

  • Runners - boyish.
  • Blue shorts - boyish.
  • Faded red tank top that looks pink - okay so maybe that's where I went wrong.
I suppose the predominance of similar tanks tops at last year's Pride Parade should have been my first clue. But seeing The Boy's top wasn't mesh, and he doesn't have nipple rings, I just didn't put two and two together. Besides, even at the Pride Parade, these tank tops are worn by men.