The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Baby Whisperer

As I said previously in Games People Play, I have trouble speaking in baby-talk and playing baby-games. It just seems, I dunno, embarrassing. But I have been trying. Even though I'm way out of my comfort zone I think I've been doing pretty good, "gooing" and "gaaing" and playing with the best of them. Then my mother comes to visit.

She can calm Harris when he's fussy, put him to sleep when he's wired and make him smile when he's sad. I really thought I was doing well, but Mom is all googly and sing-songy and cutesey, and Harris just laps it up. He can't get enough and in just two days I think he likes her better than he likes me.

Yeah, well, she can't teach him how to throw a ball - so there.