The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Games People Play

"You should play with the boy. Interact with him. That's how he learns."

You mean patting him on the head while I read the paper isn't good enough?

Actually I play with Harris all the time. I bounce him, swing him, talk to him in English and Chinese, and sing to him (although Carl Perkins seems to make him cry). What I have trouble with is speaking in baby-talk and playing baby-games like Peek-a-Boo with him: Where's Harris? Where's Harris? There he is. Patty's a natural, but I'm still getting used to the whole thing.

I recognize the fact baby-games help him develop cognitive skills so I am trying, and he really does seem to enjoy them. So Harris and I made a deal. I'll play Peek-a-Boo with him and in exchange he plays Scrabble with me. Currently I'm mopping the floor with him. I'm 34-1 at Peek-a-Boo (don't even ask how I lost that one game) and 22-0 at Scrabble. He can protest all he wants but "bihskgr" is not a real word.