The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Successful Family Outings

Outing #1
Boy's been fed, content and sleepy, let's go. Saturday, after dropping off Grandma Campbell at the mall, we take off to TJ's Kids Store to buy a Swing-a-ma-Jig or whatever it's called; it swings, it soothes, it takes up space, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways there was a sad little boy not more than a few feet away from me bawling his eyes out (next to a neatly arranged display of mini-toilets - I didn't know potty training was that difficult). I just don't hear crying babies anymore. A year ago that boy would have sent me running for the door, today I just glanced over and "eh." Mind you a year ago I wouldn't have been caught dead in TJ's.

On our way home we stop for lunch at Solly's Bagels. Harris was still sound asleep so we unhitch the baby bucket and haul him in. The bucket unfortunately squishes his shoulders up to his chin and makes him look like Michael Moore, not a good look. Every time someone peeked in at him I wanted to say "He actually cuter." What a proud dad.

Outing #2
Lazy Sunday dinner - pizza. Packed Harris into the stroller, 10x cuter, we're good to go. We walked down to Lombardo's Pizzeria to get a take-out pizza. Harris was out like a light, so we decided to eat in. Patty gets so house-bound it's good to get a restaurant meal in once in a while. Nice bottle of Cabernet Franc and a Pesto Pizza. People are surprised when we tell him he's only 15 days old. Are we supposed to lock him away until he's two or something? Still don't see what the big deal is.

Outing #3
Parent and Baby Drop-in at the community health office.

***Alert. Alert. Only Adult Male Present. Alert.***

But the Moms were super nice, and in hindsight I don't really know what I was worried about. What were they going to do, boo me? I wasn't expecting a Sausage Festival, but still it would have been nice for at least one other father to be there; scratch our nuts (our own, not each other's) and exchange knowing glances - y'know male bonding.

This time Harris was hungry. I leaned over to Patty and whispered, "If he cries give him to me and I'll walk him around the lobby." Then I thought "why?" Wailing babies abounds in this room, in fact Harris was one of the quiet ones. I guess I really don't notice the crying babies anymore.