The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Some Kind of Monster

Friday night was family video night. Harris, Patty and I settled in and watched Some Kind of Monster, a behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of metal-band Metallica's newest album St. Anger. As much as I appreciate everything Metallica has achieved, none of us are actually Metallica fans (Harris rated the music: two crappy diapers), but you don't have to like the music to love this movie.

It's not so much a movie about the band as it is about trust and relationships. Lines like, "I hear what your saying and this is how it makes me feel" usually has me pushing the eject button on the DVD player, but juxtaposed against the fact this is Metallica, the "IT" metal band of the last decade, it is downright funny.

Be warned, the movie is long (over two hours), but it's a great way to kill time if you have a baby to nurse.