The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Week Three Report

Today has been a challenging day. Harris was extremely fussy. He was up from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm eating, dozing, eating, crying, dozing, soiling, crying, eating, dozing, crying - frustrating. Patty has shown the patience of Job, tending, feeding and soothing him without losing her cool. I've taken my shifts too, changing, rocking and burping. But just when we think we've got his pattern figured out he defies us; it has been a long morning. We thought he might be colic, with all his fussing and crying. This evening's been better.

Otherwise things are good. He's now passed his birth weight by a couple ounces and staring to get chubby. He's grown little man-boobs and I even noticed some cellulite on his thighs. Nothing luposuction can't fix when he's older. His hair is coming in, looks like he's going to have a hairline like Dad's, which is impressive if I do say so myself. He's in a feed-like-crazy phase right now, which on one hand is great because it means he's growing, but hard on Patty (the sole food source right now) because he seems permanently attached to her. Might introduce a bottle this week.

My friend Mark told me being a parent is really rewarding. Now that Harris has arrived I find it's true. Not because he's my spawn, it's because we get to watch him develop and grow a little bit everyday. Corny as it sounds, it's really cool.