The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What Exactly?

Even though The Boy's vocabulary is growing on a daily basis, there are times I have no idea what he's saying. Tuesday morning The Boy is feeling peckish. "Ap-po!" "Ap-po!"

"Apple?"

"AP-PO!"

I give him a slice of apple. "No. Ap-PO!" "UP!"

"What is it? You have apple. You want up?"

I pick him up. "Ap-Po!", he gestures towards the knife.

"That's a knife, you can't have that."

He screams. I put him down. He turns to stomp off and runs into the wall. The tears started immediately.

I pick him up, calm him down and give him a banana. "Ap-Po."

He stuffs both fruits in him mouth, grabs a fridge magnet and wanders into the living room happy. "Ap-Po."

Eventually he got what he wanted, I just wish I knew what it was.