The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hardest Lesson So Far

Last night I killed a fly. The Boy saw me.

TB: What you doing Dad?

Me: [Shit] I, uh, killed a fly.

TB: Why did you do that?

I was stumped. On one hand we teach The Boy to be friendly to animals. On the other hand, pests like flies need swatting.

I looked down at his innocent face and decided the best thing to do would be to confuse him.

Me: Because, uh... sometimes you got to be cruel to be kind.

The Boy furrowed his brow a bit, but seemed satisfied with the answer.

I wonder if I can take the same approach when he starts asking me about sex?

TB: Dad, in school today Billy says a man sticks his thingy inside a woman. Is that true?

Me: Well, you know son, you've got to be cruel to be kind.

I like it!