The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Are We Close?

At 6:15 am this morning The Boy comes into our room and says, "Mom, I have to go pee." We both sit up in disbelief, "What?"

"I have to go pee."

Thirty seconds later the glorious sound of tinkling resonates from the bathroom.

I have to admit, up until this morning I had all but given up. We tried everything, books, videos, cartoons, role playing, demonstrations, logic (Son, this will really affect your dating potential when you get to high school). Out of frustration the other week I resorted to name-calling, which I can tell you, doesn't work.

The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that soon he'd be old enough to change his own damn diaper.

Can it be true? Are we close to end of diapers? There have been so many false starts I don't want to get my hopes up, but this has been the biggest step forward so far.