The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Someone Your Own Size

The Boy and I were at Science World today, in the Lego exhibit, sending Lego cars down the Lego racetrack. He was having a good time, and the kids were playing fairly well together - lining their cars up and taking turns pulling the Start lever.

Until this one six-year old showed up. A good five inches taller than the others, he decided he was gonna be "King of the track" - taking over the table, crowding kids, and generally being the biggest one there.

If The Boy was intimidated, he didn't show it. He played with his car, cheered as it raced, and pretty much ignored the kid. I guess this got under his skin because as The Boy lined up his car for another race, the kid reached over and pulled the wheels off.

Now The Boy is going to have to learn to fight his own fights, but when it started getting physical, three years and five inches seemed too lopsided. So I did the first thing that came to mind, I grabbed the six-year old's car, pulled the wheels off, and tossed them on the floor.

The tears started immediately. His mother rushed over but he was inconsolable. I explained what happened, and fortunately, she took my side. Five minutes later, they left.

I made a six-year old cry. Yeah, not my proudest moment.

On the way home I wondered if I could have handled that differently. I guess I could have scolded him, or called his mother right away. But you know, I think I got my point across.