The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Happy Birthday! And Goodbye.

Happy birthday son! Wow, it seems like just six years ago you were born. Time flies when you’re having fun, and I’ve loved every minute of it.

So you’re six, and in a few weeks heading into Grade 1. I’m blown away. It’s been a fun ride and I suspect it will only get better. Sure we’ve had our differences - typical parent/child stuff - and I know there have been times you’ve thought of me as a total jerk. The reality is... I am. But jerk or not I promise you this much: No matter what challenges we may face together, you will always be my son and I will love you unconditionally.

And hey, you’re a lovable kid. You’ve got years, decades of development ahead of you, but I can already see signs of a leader emerging. You’re empathic, caring and inclusive. Thoughtful, helpful and kind. Yeah you’re only six, and you have all the trappings of a six-year old, but there are some awesome personality traits bubbling to the surface.

It’s also time to sign-off The Jasper Chronicles for good. Honestly I’ve pretty much checked out a year and half ago, but might as well make it official. Not that there are any readers left to even notice, but this blog was never about building a readership. I’m flattered that I got the readers that I did, but no, I created this blog for you son.

I used this blog as a way to document the first few years of your life through my eyes. And while there have been some huge gaps between posts, I think I’ve been fairly successful. Particularly capturing the early years, the years you won’t remember - thankfully - because those are also the years you probably saw me naked far too often.

And just because I haven’t posted in the past year and a half doesn’t mean you’ve gotten off easy. I have hours of video and thousands of pictures stored away. Really embarrassing stuff I can pull out anytime. Stuff that would make you crap yourself; come to think if I have footage of you crapping yourself.

So that’s it. The Jasper Chronicles are done. I might start another blog one day, maybe. Or maybe not. Maybe I’ll just sit back and enjoy the ride.