The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Chapter 5, I think

I should know these things, major milestones in The Boy's life, but I all I really remember are the significant ones - birthdays, first steps, solid food, potty - the rest just blur together like a lost weekend.

Today is one I'll remember, The Boy's first day at full-time daycare. For the past two years my parents have commuted from Victoria to Vancouver to watch him two days a week. While they never complained, I'm sure it wore on them; it definitely wore on P and me. I love them and all that, but at my age living with my parents again, even two days a week, took some getting used to. And it really put a damper on my hobby of inappropriate nudity, which primarily involves windows and a lot of stretching. But Dad kept drawing the curtains and demanding pants - it was like I was 15 again.

Draconian slacks policy aside, it's a little weird not having them around. The Boy loved their visits, and it was nice to come home to a freshly cut lawn and dinner once in a while. Not having them around also means that The Boy is growing up, which is probably the weirdest feeling of them all.