The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Flip The Switch

Before The Boy (BTB) I wasn't much into kids. Nieces and nephews always gravitated to Uncle E, my big brother, because I pretty much treated them like adults. Even tragic family stories I'd hear on the news barely tugged a heartstring, kids just didn't register on my radar.

Then P announced she was pregnant. Me? Father? Oil and water seemed like a better mix. I had no idea what to expect, let alone what to do, but a co-worker reassured me, "You might not know what to do now, but once you hold your child for the first time, you'll just know." And he was right. Rookie-parenting mistakes aside I slid right into being Dad and have never looked back.

Here's to three incredible years. Happy Birthday son! I can't imagine life without you.