The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day

Happy day, Fathers. I hope you enjoyed your backrubs and Champaign breakfasts. Me? I spent Father's Day giving P a belated Mother's Day. She got to spend the day doing whatever she wanted and I took care of The Boy.

I guess on paper that seems unfair, but we had a great day. We hung out at a street festival, met up with friends, played in the park, danced to music, ate ice cream and soaked up the sun. What's there to complain about? Okay, maybe just one thing...

There were four of these street festivals taking place yesterday, part of Car-Free Vancouver. Kids at the Main Street festival had a bouncy castle and a huge robot spider to play with, while over at Commercial Drive -- where The Boy and I were -- hippies and hand-drums. My criteria for next year's Car-Free festival: More bouncing, less twirling.

But a tiny bump in what was a near-perfect Father's Day really. The Boy thoroughly enjoyed himself and so did I. Oh and P... she had a great day too.