The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Go Canada?

Today Canada surpassed their previous medal count at the Summer Olympics. A part of me is happy, a part of me is embarrassed, a part of me died inside.

I'm happy because winning a medal at the Olympics is a huge accomplishment, and when it's a Canadian even better.

I'm embarrassed because for a country as developed as Canada is, we do very poorly at the Olympics. Maybe it's that prevailing Canadian politeness, but our athletes don't seem hungry, or greedy enough to win.

And a part of me died because, for the third Olympics in a row, we've won medals in Trampoline. Trampoline! I'd settle for a lower medal count than endure, "Canada. Tops in Trampoline." Yeah yeah, I recognize the athleticism and the fact I couldn't do it myself, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Care to guess what my perspective is on Rhythm Gymnastics?