The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Newest Arrival

The wait is over. The weeks of drooling, the crying, the chomping down on toys and fingers. Today The Boy's first tooth erupted - the lower right incisor. P is thrilled, sort of, "Whee. This is going to feel great when he nurses."

The tooth, coupled with other recent strides in development, and it looks like our little boy is growing up. Some other parents I've talked to get a little melancholy about their baby coming of age. How it all happens so fast, how there little bundle is starting to flexing their independence, and already thinking back to earlier times when their babies were inert larva, completely dependent, totally huggable but otherwise unresponsive.

Me? I'm thrilled. I can't wait for The Boy grow up so I can start wrasselin' with him. In the last few days I've been playing a little rougher and he goes into hysterics, he loves it, and I'm having a blast. Is it too early to buy him street hockey gear?

I recognize the fact that it will happen fast for me to. That one day "Wrasselin' Dad" may become "Geeze-You-Are-Such-A-Drag Dad", so maybe I'd better be careful what to wish for. But we're going to have a lot of fun until that day arrives.