The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Where's My Ron MacLean?

I've been referred to, at times, as the Don Cherry of music - I know what I like, and I'm happy to tell you why you should like it too. Don't get me wrong, I have a very open mind. I'll give any artist or genre a honest try, and I'll rarely chide someone for listening to crap; but I will tell you why "I" think it's crap.

Like Folk music. When Folk music is good, it's great. Problem is, most Folk is just bad poetry wrapped in the guise of a song. It's so freaking earnest it makes me want to stick a screwdriver in my ear. What happened to melody? Phrasing? And don't even get me started on poetry...

So the other day P brings home a personalized music CD for The Boy, guaranteed to sing his name no fewer than 20 times. Oh honey, why didn't you just stick a dagger in my heart and get it over with? He was enjoying Gomez, The Jayhawks and Eels just fine, thank you very much. She popped the CD in, and I have to admit it is funny how the performers insert his name between beats or in random spots during the song; like a melodic non-sequitur. It makes us laugh.

The cutesy children's songs are (barely) tolerable I guess. It's no laughing matter when the folk songs come on though. Oh sure they sing The Boy's name, but AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! How do these performers sleep at night?

I remember when kids tuned into the Kroft Supershow to get down with Kaptain Kool and the Kongs. How come they don't make children's music like that anymore.

Am I showing my age? Yeah, I think I am.