The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Friday, March 30, 2007

Three Questions - A Meme

I've never started one of these Meme things before, and I think they're probably passe and very uncool now, but I was never one to keep up with the times; just decided to stop feathering my hair last week. So WTF, here goes.

I was describing diaper changing to a co-worker today (no wonder no one talks to me) I realized that before The Boy my reaction would have been pretty much the same as his was, "Fuck dude, that's disgusting." This got me to thinking about how much my perceptions, reactions and priorities have changed now that I'm a dad.

So I propose the following three questions:

1) What was your biggest surprise when you became a parent.

2) Name some things you vowed you'd never do, but find yourself doing now.

3) What's the one thing you thought you would do, but actually don't.

Here are my answers.

1) What was your biggest surprise when you became a parent?
Nothing seems to gross me out anymore. I changed The Boy's very first diaper and didn't even bat an eyelash. I cleaned him up, shook out the diaper, bundled him back and handed him to P. No muss, no fuss. Considering The Boy's first few poops was sticky, greeny-black meconium this was a particular surprise.

I remember as a kid watching in awe as my parents stuck their hands into all sorts of disgusting places and things, and how I would gag as they were doing it. Even as recent as couple years ago, certain textures would send me running out of the room. Now I'm right in there. Goopy, gooey or mysterious - bring it on.

2) Name some things you vowed you'd never do, but find yourself doing now?
- I always found it disgusting when parents finished eating what their kids left behind. Now I practically lick The Boy's plate. Half eaten toast - delicious. Pre-chewed carrot - my favourite. Abused banana - yum.

- I swore up and down that I'd treat The Boy like an adult, baby talk just embarrassed me too much. For the first few months that's exactly what I did, no peek-a-boo or tickle monster games, just straight-up time with Dad. Maybe it was the fact that I kept beating him at scrabble, or that he seemed to have way more fun with P, but eventually I caved.

3) What's the one thing you thought you would do, but actually don't?
Use cloth diapers exclusively. I tip my hat to those parents that can, but sometimes cloth is just not convenient, like when you're out for the afternoon or staying somewhere overnight. We hate the thought of disposables and the impact they have on the environment, and for the longest time we used gDiapers - a flushable disposable, but lately when we go out or send him to daycare, we find ourselves slapping a disposable on The Boy.

Toilet training starts in two weeks, so hopefully we won't need diapers for too much longer.

----------------------------------

It might be only three questions, but I'm tagging five bloggers:
I suppose anyone can participate, but I had to start somewhere.

Look forward to reading your answers.