The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Ultimate Drinking Game

Last night Patty and Harris came by to meet me after work . I love family outings. It's a chance for Patty to get out of the house, Harris to experience new things and for Patty and I to do something adult, like have a restaurant meal.

There was a flurry of phone calls before it actually happened, "I'm leaving soon." "I don't think I can come, he's fussy." "He's just started feeding, so I won't make it." "I've got a bit of milk in him. He's in the stroller, I'm getting dressed and going." I sat by my phone.

Lo and behold 30 minutes later Patty and the boy arrive in town. After a little show and tell with my co-workers - far more impressed with Harris than the ladybug in a jar I brought the previous week - we headed off to Subeez for dinner.

We had a great meal but couldn't totally relax, knowing Harris didn't get the type of feeding that puts him to sleep for hours. We kept saying, "Crap, I hope he doesn't wake up." Not exactly My Dinner With Andre, but we take what we can get.

In my younger years I played all sorts of drinking games - Caps, War, Centurion and a fuzzy collection of others. They all had the same objective, get you to drink and to drunk as fast as possible; my formative years were a blur. But none of them hold a candle to slamming a drink everytime your baby stirs. I can't remember a time we made it through our pints so fast.