The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Can't Stop Progress

I noticed this a few months back but it didn't really register - the once veritable Brussels Chocolate factory on Terminal Ave. has closed its doors. It's true, the caramel no longer flows in East Vancouver. The factory was a landmark, in place for as long as I can remember. Designed to look like an old world factory, complete with a big smoke stack and brick facade. I wanted to take The Boy for a tour there when he got older, meet the Oompa Loompas, sample some chocolates, touch the Truffle machine. It was all planned out in my head, and it was going to be great.

It appears real world pressures forced Brussels Chocolates to move from the 'inner city' out into the outlying regions, a sign of the times I guess. Cheaper taxes? Larger facility? Who knows. All I know is that their old building is now a self-storage facility. From magical chocolate factory to a place people store their crap, another sign of the times.

Come to think of it, I've got box-loads of crap I need to store, so why not there? At least I'd be inside the building I've wanted so badly to tour. I wonder if they let you choose the location of your storage locker. "I'd like something in the Nougat Room please, and if that's full a locker near the Fudge Canal would be nice."