The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Family Returns

Today P and The Boy return home after 10 days away. Contrary to my usual MO, I didn't go on a bender with my friends and pass out on the kitchen floor. This time I was a good boy and spent most of the week working around the home.

I unpacked, painted, scrubbed, taped, painted, installed new fixtures, organized, cleaned, and almost burnt the house down. (Helpful tip for the do-it-yourselfer: If sparks come out of the electrical outlets and you succeed in blowing your main breaker, bathing your house in total darkness - you've done something wrong.)

I'm exhausted, but managed to get The Boy's room and kitchen painted, cleaned up the mouse shit the previous owner left behind (thanks!), installed new kitchen lights, moved a bed into the spare bedroom, organized the basement, and unpacked.

After doing all that I'm wondering how I'm going to keep my freshly painted kitchen walls clean. I was seriously thinking of hanging a shower curtain around The Boy's high chair somehow. Might sound far-fetched, but if you just went through what I did, you'd be thinking the same thing.

So two more rooms in the house are finished. The Boy probably won't notice, P on the other hand... I'm expecting the best "You've painted two rooms and did a whole lot of other stuff" sex I've ever had!