The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Monday, August 13, 2007

Happy Birthday Boy

Hey little dude, you turn two today.

Where does the time go? It seems like just a year ago we were celebrating your first birthday. A year ago you also couldn't walk, could barely talk, and had a hair line not unlike that of a cue ball. Now you run everywhere, can speak some Chinese, and you're starting to use prepositions and tense in your sentences; your hair on the other hand, let's just say it's not lush and full.

Yup, in the past year I have watched you go from being a little baby to becoming a little person, complete with your own thoughts and personality. It's been exciting, but also makes me a little melancholy, because each time you knock-off another developmental milestone, I know there's no going back. Each little step you take to becoming more independent is another step your take away from me. Looks like all those well-wishers and busy bodies who warned me you'll grow up fast were right; better put them back onto the Christmas list.

But hey I'm not going to get all wrapped up in all that, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy every moment as they come. Because one day you'll become a hulking teenager, borrow the car, then back it into a fire hydrant.

Happy Birthday Son!