The Jasper Chronicles

The Journal of a Cynical Dad

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My Life of Lazy Leisure...

...begins tomorrow, at least for one day a week.

Unfortunately I'm not going to become a stay-at-home Dad, but I am switching to a four day work week so I can spend more time with The Boy. My current employer allows me to work flexible hours, so until I find a new job, I might as well take advantage of it.

Really "Leisure" is the wrong word. This is not going to be a lazy "Scratch your balls and watch sports on TV" day. Wednesdays are going to be a busy "Keep the super active 20-month old entertained, scratch your balls during his nap" day. Definitely not leisurely, but that doesn't mean it's not going to fun.

What to do, what to do? That's the burring question. I've been researching Community Centre programs and emailing other Dads I know; it appears to boil down to a few options.

  • Kindergym at the Community Centre
  • Swimming
  • Playdate with The Boy's buddy Milo
  • Hangin' at the Mall
  • Frolic in the park
  • Visiting the Aquarium
  • Going to Science World
  • Drinking beer and playing guitar. (As Rob rightly pointed out, "What's the point of Dads hanging out together if you don't do at least one of those activities.")

I'm probably thinking about this far too much, but I'm excited. The Boy to myself, all day, in the middle of the week. Whoo Hoo!